Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips 2011: Gummy Song Skull (Self-Released, 2011)


The Flaming Lips
The Flaming Lips 2011: Gummy Song Skull

Self-Released

2011

Rating:
6.5 day-glo worms out of 10

The Flaming Lips have been EP crazy this year, and this one is the craziest. Four songs stored on a USB drive inside of a gummy skull. As it says on their website "Eat your way to the new music!!!". Oh yeah, and it costs a hundred and fifty bucks...so obviously I stole these songs online. While I love both gummy candies and this band, I'm not that gullible. To their credit, this gummy skull appears to be actual skull sized, so at least you get a shitload of gummy.

Hopefully the other fans out there are as resourceful as I am though, because these songs are pretty damn good. The opener "Drug Chart" is a quick favorite, and as close to a "Soft Bulletin" type pop song as they've released in some time. The rest of the songs are a little more out there, almost ambient and atmospheric but still plenty weird in that Flaming Lips sort of way.

And now I have a strong urge to eat some gummy worms.

(Also, I can't figure out who technically released this - I highly doubt Warner Brothers had anything to do with it, but who knows with this band.)

No comments:

Post a Comment