Monday, April 18, 2011

Radiohead - The King Of Limbs (XL, 2011)


Radiohead
The King Of Limbs
XL
2011

Rating: 8 royal elbows out of 10

Part of me would like to make fun of Radiohead, be one of those cool kids denouncing then as the emperor without any clothes. But fuck it, I like their music...and while I've only spent a little time with "The King Of Limbs", I really like this record.

I've honestly been a little ambivalent on their last couple of releases, preferring their material from the late nineties and early aughts. Luck for my ears, this album sounds like it should have come out right after "Amnesiac", as if it were recorded during the same sessions of that album and "Kid A". Lots of glitchy techno-pop with Thom Yorke wailing over top of it, songs that get stuck in your head even if they aren't stereotypically catchy. Plus that is what almost amounts to a ballad, "Codex", that instantly catches the ear. I can just see some kids with sharp angular haircuts slow dancing to it. These kids I'm picturing may or may not look like cartoon characters from the show "Daria".

I can already tell I'm going to listen to the shit out of this album...it's going to be one of those that gets left in the CD player of my car for weeks on end. I like already knowing that. I like already knowing I'll have a good friend riding around with me for the next few months, and for years after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment