Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (Sub Pop, 2011)


Fleet Foxes
Helplessness Blues
Sub Pop
2011

Rating: 7.5 slow coyotes out of 10

My first impression on this new Fleet Foxes record - more of the same. And I view that as a good thing, because I really liked the same. With some bands you might be looking for growth, exploration, all that shit - but this is a band firmly implanted on bringing the harmonies and melodies of sixties pop folk to the new century, and they do a really fine job of it. I've had too many bands I love wander off into new territory, looking to expand their sound, only to end up inhabiting a space that I want no part of. This description fits a number of acts, but I'm looking hardest at you, My Morning Jacket. And certainly it's understandable that groups would want to explore new sounds, but if you're really damn talented at something why fuck with a good thing?

I'm quite certains this is going ot get a lot of spins in my car, especially this time of year, when you can drive around with the windows down and enjoy a nice spring breeze. Fans of the first record should rush to pick this up, because it picks up right where the last one left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment