Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Acid House Kings - Music Sounds Better With You (Labrador, 2011)


Acid House Kings
Music Sounds Better With You
Labrador
2011

Rating:
6.5 Daft Punk side projects out of 10


Here I was thinking I'd just lost touch with the Acid House Kings, cause the last thing I heard by them was 2005's "Sing Along With Acid House Kings". But nope, that was the last record they released, and my record of being perfectly in touch with everything and all bands remains untarnished.

This release didn't strike me as instantly sweet and precious as their last album, but that would have been difficult to pull off - that record would make a sugar factory taste sour. It's still very twee and poppy like you'd expect, but a little more of a grower. Perhaps as the years have passed since their previous releases, they've developed a more nuanced sense melody and hooks. It's still a damn decent listen, but I probably prefer my Acid House Kings songs to hit me over the head with cuteness.

No comments:

Post a Comment