Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lower Dens - Batman 7" (Gnomonsong, 2011)


Lower Dens
Batman 7"
Gnomonsong
2011

Rating: 6.5 robin eggs out of 10

I saw Lower Dens play live a few months back and stylistically they were all over the map. This seven inch is no different. "Batman", the front half of the record, is a summery lo-fi pop song that sounds nothing like anything I heard them play live. The flip side, "Dear Betty Baby" is a mellow Beach House-type dirge that sounds even less like their other material than the A-side. I think these guys are trying to fuck with my head by not letting me box them into a "sounds like" category. This makes me a little mad because my mathematical side likes to break everyone down to a simple equation. Whatever, the songs are both pretty good - I actually prefer the B-side the most. Worth seeking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment