Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Yo La Tengo - There’s A Riot Going On (Matador, 2018)

Yo La Tengo
There’s A Riot Going On
Matador
2018


Rating: 1000 tasty hoagies from Hoagie Haven in Princeton, NJ

I’m a bald, overweight, white dude in his forties that’s listened to “indie rock” for pretty much his entire life…do you think there is a chance in hell I don’t love this new Yo La Tengo record, “There’s A Riot Going On”?  Or any new Yo La Tengo record?  Or anything with which Yo La Tengo is in any way affiliated?   Hell, it might even technically be illegal for someone with my particular demographic makeup to dislike them, but I’ll need to consult the “WFMU Rules & Regulations” handbook to be sure though. 

I'm sure there are already a shitload of smart reviews written by brainy people (likely also bald, middle-aged, and white) on why this record is great, and I ain’t trying to compete with them.  I’ll just say this is quite good, as if that wasn't already clear - it’s on the mellower/more atmospheric side of their sound more often than not.  I prefer their poppier fare, but this is still totally enjoyable.  Most importantly, this is the ideal time to re-post this gem from the Onion, as it’s one of the best things they’ve ever written. 

And as I’ve likely said before in every other equally un-enlightening blurb I’ve ever written about this trio, if you’re totally unfamiliar with the work of Yo La Tengo, just snag a copy of their 1997 album  “I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One” and go from there.  That record perfectly encapsulates what is so good about them in one tidy package. 

No comments:

Post a Comment