Monday, April 23, 2018

Wye Oak - The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs (Merge, 2018)

Wye Oak
The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs
Merge
2018


Rating: 8 sunk fishing boats out of 10

I’ve been listening to this new Wye Oak record for a couple of weeks now and I can’t think of anything noteworthy to say about it.  Not that “The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs” isn’t noteworthy itself - it’s really damn good and I’ve listened to it a lot, and will surely be one of my favorites of the year.  It’s just…it sounds pretty much just like the last couple of Wye Oak records, and the Flock Of Dimes record (Jenn Wasner’s solo project)…this doesn’t lead to that many fresh talking points to tackle.  I suppose I could prattle on about how I have a rock star crush on Jenn akin to the way most seventh grade girls feel about New Kids On The Block (that’s still a thing right?  Is it still 1989?), but nobody cares to hear about that.  This band has a sound and they’re sticking with it, and that is a-ok with me.  You should definitely go see Wye Oak live if you get a chance, they are a delight.  Buy this record.  Buy all the rest of their records while you’re at it.  And the Flock Of Dimes record.  And anything else Jenn Wasner has even the slightest hand or influence on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment