Thursday, April 5, 2018

Hot Snakes - Jericho Sirens (Sub Pop, 2018)

Hot Snakes
Jericho Sirens
Sub Pop
2018


Rating: Perfection.

You could say I was pretty excited when Hot Snakes announced they were getting back together.  Excited enough to plan a trip to other side of the country just to see them perform.  At that show they played nothing but their old material - almost all of it actually – because that’s what the people want out of a reunion, right?  Now that I’ve listened to “Jericho Sirens” multiple times, I can say, unequivocally, they could have easily added any or all of this new record into the set list that night and no one would have batted an eye or been angry about having to hearing their "new shit."  This entire new album sounds so much like their first three releases that if you didn’t know better, you could easily assume it was just something they had in the can from years ago that they just got around to releasing now.  Listen, when you’ve got a sound that is this goddamned good and special and perfect, why fuck with it? 

I’m trying to imagine a scenario where this isn’t my favorite record of the year, but I can’t picture it right now.  If by some impossible scenario anything else gets released that tops "Jericho Sirens," well I guess that will make us all winners in this game of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment