Friday, March 23, 2018

The Number Ones - Another Side Of The Number Ones 7’’ (Sorry State, 2018)

The Number Ones
Another Side Of The Number Ones 7’’
Sorry State
2018


Rating: 9 Costa Rican hoodies out of 10

I’m always excited to hear some quality power pop, especially if it’s a new band and not a dug-up relic from 1979 (no offense to those relics, it's some of my favorite music of all time).   It’s especially exciting is to find out this was released by a label in the same town as you!  Sorry State* mostly tends towards hardcore and heavy/weird punk, some of it good. a lot of weird, but generally not the catchiest music that would remotely be confused for pop; so I was pretty shocked to see they had released this four-song seven inch from Dublin’s the Number Ones.  If, like me, you find yourself perpetually mad that Gentleman Jesse hasn’t released a new record since 2012, let this quick burst of nearly identical hooks soothe your savage soul.  In fact, when I first heard the opening track “Lie To Me,” knowing nothing of the band, I jumped online to see if this was actually a new project from Jesse himself.  You could make some Exploding Hearts comparisons too, particularly on “You’re So Happy I Could Cry.”  Those are two comparisons I don’t make lightly, two acts that figure very heavily into my music fandom of the last couple of decades.  My only complaint here is the record is only four songs long…please god let a full-length be in the works. 

*They also have a brick and mortar record store in downtown Raleigh that is fantastic – tons of variety, great prices, and has taken way too much of my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment