Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Ed Schrader’s Music Beat - Riddles (Carpark, 2018)

Ed Schrader’s Music Beat
Riddles
Carpark
2018


Rating: 7.5 mall phone kiosks out of 10

It’s kinda weird to hear such a “mature” record from Ed Schrader’s Music Beat, a band that seems to proudly wear their weirdo primitivism on their sleeves.  I mean, the drums are more than floor toms (sometimes)!  There are other instruments than just drum and bass (also sometimes)!  Dan Deacon did stuff and things!  I suspect the real heavy lifting is done in the recording/post-production/whatever the fuck you call it – so many layers, so dense…both in the music and vocals – I think this is where Deacon really made his presence felt.  It’s entirely possible I’ve made the comparison of  Devo-meets-Cabaret Voltaire to Ed Schrader’s Music Beat before, but now you can add some early Animal Collective into the blender before you puree this musical smoothie.  Shit, the title track “Riddles” could damn-near be confused for a radio-friendly pop single, not something I thought I’d ever say about the band that brought us “Gas Station Attendant” and “Rats.”  It’s still close enough to their original, raw sound that I think most fans will be fine with this – I’m certainly down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment