Friday, March 9, 2018

Jeremy Enigk - Ghosts (Lewis Hollow, 2017)

Jeremy Enigk
Ghosts
Lewis Hollow
2017

Rating
: 8 meaningless fruit out of 10

I can’t seem to form these thoughts into a coherent paragraph(s), so I’m going bullet points with this one.

  • My initial thought in writing about this new Jeremy Enigk record was to note that he had released a new record, thinking this was a unique thing.  I honestly thought 2006’s “World Awaits” was the last thing he put out, but it looks like he’s released two albums between that one and this newest one, “Ghosts.”  I guess the bright side is I have two additional “new” Enigk records to listen to in the near future.
  • ...It’s almost like I half-ass everything and wait and do all of my research literally while I’m writing the review (which is totally true).
  • This is where I remind people that his solo debut “Return Of The Frog Queen” is one of the great lost classics of the nineties, true chamber pop perfection and Sub Pop really needs to get off their ass and reissue the vinyl on the goddamn thing.  Getting to see him perform live just after it came out, complete with a mini-orchestra, is one of the live music highlights of my life.
  • I thought “Ghosts” was a decent record on first pass, but multiple listens really pays off.  It’s got some of that chamber pop of “Frog Queen,” some of the subdued rock of Sunny Day Real Estate’s “The Rising Tide,” and a fair amount of straight-forward folk elements as well.
  • Side note, if you’re interested: “The Rising Tide” was apparently recently reissued on vinyl, so if that’s something you care about, get on it.  I’ll be going shopping this weekend.
  • If I had managed to really sink my teeth into this record a little more before the end of 2017, I’m certain it would have finished as one of my favorite records of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment