Monday, March 19, 2018

Metz - Strange Peace (Sub Pop, 2017)

Metz
Strange Peace
Sub Pop
2017

Rating: 7 white Reeboks out of 10

Was Metz always this heavy?  I don’t remember them pummeling my ears this hard in the past, but I’d have to go back and listen to the old records to be totally positive.  They certainly were this heavy when I saw them live last fall, for the record.  It’s definitely not metal, but at times they’re as heavy as a lot of that genre.  “Strange Peace” almost veers into industrial territory at times, like Ministry played organically, (mostly) without the electronics and synths and such.  There’s for sure a punk edge too, but the driving brutality of the guitars on most of the songs…I don’t want to say overwhelms, but it’s definitely the lead story.

In case it wasn't clear, let it be known I like this quite a bit.  Have fun trying to listen to this while driving and not speed.  Opener “Mess of Wires” sets the tone immediately; the drummer sounds super angry on “Lost in the Blank City,” and it likely required the reskinning of at least a few of the drums; and “Dig a Hole” is the soundtrack of a cartoon cat running around on fire (PSA: don’t set real cats on fire).  “Strange Peace” is 36 minutes long but honestly feels shorter, and there is zero fuck around in it.  I like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment