Friday, March 23, 2018

Superchunk - Break The Glass 7’’,(Merge, 2017)

Superchunk
Break The Glass 7’’
Merge
2017


Rating: 7 confused oranges out of 10

I know Mac loves them, and hell even I like them fine, but it’s really weird to hear Superchunk cover a Corrosion Of Conformity song.  The song in question is “Mad World,” from CoC’s 1985 record “Animosity.”  Surprisingly, this rendition by Superchunk is fairly faithful to the original.  Granted, the 1985 version of CoC skewed slightly more punk/hardcore than the metal band they are known as today, but it’s still very different from Superchunk’s catchy punk-tinged pop.  Even if I don’t find myself yearning to hear this cover that often, I appreciate them branching out with a different type of cover than what you would expect from them for the b-side of this record. 

The title track here is from their most recent (really great) record “What A Time To Be Alive” that I need to get around to writing up, as if my take on anything Superchunk releases isn’t going to be full-on fanboy gushing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment