Monday, March 12, 2012

Nada Surf - The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy (Barsuk, 2012)

Nada Surf
The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy
Barsuk
2012

Rating: 8 tulip computers out of 10

This new Nada Surf album is the first real contender of album of the year, a fact I would have wagered a large sum of money on before ever listening to it.  Sometimes being predictable is a good thing, and as this album sounds like the natural progression of their last few stellar full-lengths (minus the covers record "If I Had A Hi-Fi" which wasn't bad, just odd and out of place), it was pretty much the most sure bet of any record that has come out in quite some time. 

Here is what I know:

Fact: This is the best pop band working today.  
Fact: Pitchfork hates them, which is a sign that they are on the right track.  
Fact: "Waiting for Something" sounds like the Superchunk song "Digging for Something", or maybe that's just me.  I love both songs immensely.  
Fact: They are not coming here on their next tour, which almost makes me cry.  Just a little bit.  
Fact: I'm completely out of ideas on how to best tell people that just because this band had one novelty hit in the mid-nineties, is no reason to write them off.  If you like catchy indie pop that will have you singing along in record time, I seriously can't think of a better choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment