Saturday, March 24, 2012

Dirty Three - Toward the Low Sun (Drag City, 2012)

Dirty Three
Toward the Low Sun
Drag City
2012

Rating: 6.5 small airplanes out of 10

There was a time in the mid-to-late nineties that I would have listed the Dirty Three as one of my favorite groups.  But somewhere after their fourth album, "Ocean Songs," my interests drifted away.  Let's be honest, the band has a great sound, but all of the records sound kinda the same to me and I'm guessing most other folks.  Violin, drums and guitar playing sad, instrumental free-jazz influenced dirges...there's only so many directions you can take that.  This new album "Toward the Low Sun" is, as expected, more of the same...pretty enjoyable, or as enjoyable as this sort of depressing music can be.  Any Dirty Three fans should be happy with this record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment