Monday, October 3, 2011

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (Mute, 2011)

M83
Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Mute
2011

Rating: 8 bright flashes out of 10

Probably my worst reviewing misstep of all time was my review of the M83 album "Before the Dawn Heals Us".  My initial impression was that of mediocre electronic music, only to come back to the record a few weeks later and have it become one of my very favorite releases of the last ten years.  I'd like to say this taught me something about making rash judgements about music, but all it really taught me is to love M83.  

This new record - it's no "Before the Dawn Heals Us".  I'm not even sure it's on par with "Saturdays = Youth".  But it's still one of the best records of the year, that's how strongly I feel about the work of Anthony Gonzalez.  This double album seems to continue down the same path of "Saturdays = Youth" - electronic-tinged, overblown shoegaze pop for the most part.  It's a lot of music to ingest in one sitting, 22 songs and a little under an hour and a half long, but can there ever be too much of a good thing?  Well, yes there can be...but not here. There can never be too much M83. 




No comments:

Post a Comment