Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Stephin Merritt - Obscurities (Merge, 2011)

Stephin Merritt
Obscurities
Merge
2011

Rating: 7 train phobias out of 10

This isn't just a Stephin Merritt record - it's an all-things-Stephin-Merritt record.  With the exception of Future Bible Heroes, all of his bands made it onto this collection of obscure and previously unreleased tracks - The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, The Gothic Archies, and of course solo material (plus what appears to be a cover of the great Magnetic Fields song "Plant White Roses" by someone called Buffalo Rome, and I'm way too lazy to look into them further but this is one of my all-time favorite songs of theirs if you are keeping score at home). 

I'm never quite sure how you review these sorts of compilations, as they are clearly aimed at folks who are already fans (like myself) and not necessarily to be the first thing you hear by a performer.  And if you're already a fan I'm sure you'll love this, already being familiar with some of the songs (the alternate take of the Magnetic Fields' "I Don't Believe You" is fantastic) and eager to hear the rare and unreleased ones.  If you're not a fan, well obviously don't buy this, and why are you even reading the review doofus?  And if you've never heard the man's work, just pick up "The Charm of the Highway Strip" or "Get Lost" or "69 Love Songs" and thank me later. So I'm reviewing this for the fans - it's a really nice comp.  Some of the songs might be a little strange, but not a bad one in the bunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment