Thursday, October 27, 2011

DJ Shadow - I'm Excited EP (Island, 2011)

DJ Shadow
I'm Excited EP
Island
2011

Rating: 6.5 star slingers out of 10

Another EP "previewing" the new DJ Shadow record (which I've still not gotten around to listening to).  Two album tracks, two exclusive tracks. According to Shadow's website this one isn't even available anymore due to sample clearance issues, but if you want a copy of it I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to make that happen.

So anyway, as to the actual music - opening track "I'm Excited" features (obviously British) rapper Afrikan Boy and it sounds like it would have fit on his last full-length "The Outsider".  The second track is soundscape non-entity in my book.  The final two tracks are apparently on the new full-length - "Come On Riding (Through the Cosmos)" is a Shadow-style mellow rocker, and was instantly likeable.  Closer "Let's Get It (Bass, Bass, Bass)" sounds like it should have been a b-side on the "Number Song" single - it's very much that style of construction.  Not amazing, but OK.  

EP is worth seeking out, even if you have to do a little digging.





No comments:

Post a Comment