Saturday, September 17, 2011

Wild Flag - Wild Flag (Merge, 2011)

Wild Flag
Wild Flag
Merge
2011

Rating: 5 soft prunes out of 10

Honestly, listening to this new Wild Flag album went pretty much as expected - that is, underwhelming.  Especially given the pedigree of the band members - Carrie Brownstein and Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney, Mary Timony of Helium, and Rebecca Cole of the Minders.  And then I remember that I never liked Sleater-Kinney's records, even though they were fantastic live.  Helium never did much for me either, even when Polvo's Ash Bowie joined the band.  And the Minders...hell, I don't know anything about them honestly.  So I'm not sure why my expectations were high - probably the nature of any "super group".  Or I bought into the hype, including from some of my friends.  And it's not awful - it does rock, but something is missing.  Maybe it's Corin Tucker's voice.  Or maybe the songs just aren't that great.  Still, I bet they rock live, I'd almost bet on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment