Monday, September 26, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmed - Jeguol Naw Betwa (Mississippi, 2011 - Reissue)

Mahmoud Ahmed
Jeguol Naw Betwa
Mississippi (Reissue) / Self-Released (Original)
2011 (Reissue) / 1978 (Original)

Rating: 8 daktari dashikis out of 10  

Mississippi records continues their tradition of re-releasing obscure and out of print music from all around the world, this time tackling legendary Ethiopian singer Mahmoud Ahmed.  Apparently this album of blistering african pop had never been reissued since it's original pressing, so I'm quite thankful that Mississippi did the legwork and got this back out into the ears of everyone. 

I feel vastly under-qualified to talk about the merits and abilities of Mahmoud Ahmed, but I know I like them.  And I'm not someone who usually gets worked up over seventies African pop.  I've got a few of his records and a bunch of random songs on my computer, mostly because his haunting voice grasps hold of me within seconds of leaving the speaker.  The music is beyond bad ass too, but not too dissimilar to the rest of the music being made in that area in those years.  Hell, it's probably the same musicians.  But that voice...no one has that voice.  It grabs you in a way few other musicians to ever walk this planet have achieved. 



No comments:

Post a Comment