Friday, April 28, 2017

The Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody (Warner Bros, 2017)

The Flaming Lips
Oczy Mlody
Warner Bros
2017

Rating: 8 healthy glaciers out of 10

I've always considered myself a Flaming Lips fan, but if I'm being honest the last album of theirs I spent much time listening to was 2006's "At War With The Mystics," and the last one I truly loved was 2002's "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots."  It's not that their material since then has been bad, it's more like my Flaming Lips tank was full and I didn't need any more of their particular brand of silly weirdness.  Still, I listen to many of their classic records quite often, so I never felt disconnected from the group. 

A few weeks ago I caught the Lips playing a song from this new unpronounceable record they just released on one of the late night shows, and I found my interest piqued again.  It turns out that all of that old Lips material resting in my brain gut had settled a little bit and there was once again room in the tank for me to soak up some new recordings by this merry band of Oklahomans.  While not on the level of their fantastic span from 1993 to 2002, this is a damn good record.  This record is often a little more mellow and electronic than the band was in past, but still quite catchy.  I immediately took to "How??" and "The Castle," but there are no missteps at all.  Maybe after I listen to this one for a while I'll go back and revisit that missing period to see what else sounds good to me now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment