Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Men - New Moon (Sacred Bones, 2013)

The Men
New Moon
Sacred Bones
2013

Rating: 7 Sears portrait studios out of 10

If I didn't already know this album was performed by The Men there is no way in hell I would ever have guessed it correctly after listening to the music.  I saw the group live a couple of years back and they performed with a speed and aggression barely one notch below a hardcore band.  But over the last couple of albums they've morphed into a combination of mid-90s Dinosaur Jr/Sebadoh indie rock and "heartland rock" that nearly edges into Bruce Springsteen territory.  This amount of transformation would piss me off with many bands (My Morning Jacket instantly come to mind), as I'm rarely a fan of change...but with each step the Men have produced such high quality music that I inevitably end up loving it. The only track that really comes close the the Men sound of old is album closer "Supermoon," a stone cold jam that I recently saw them end a live show with...it was epic to put it lightly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment