Thursday, June 13, 2013

Golden Gunn - Golden Gunn (Three Lobed, 2013)

Golden Gunn
Golden Gunn
Three Lobed
2013

Rating: 6 lady rifles out of 10

Golden Gunn is the (mostly) instrumental side-project of MC Taylor (aka Hiss Golden Messenger) and guitarist Steve Gunn.  I'm a big Hiss fan and don't know squat about Gunn, but it seemed like a record worth a listen.  While a pleasant enough album, it didn't punch me in the gut like Hiss Golden Messenger did the first time I heard him and still continues to do.

Lately it seems like there has been a big push in instrumental folk rock getting released and garnering high praise from the press (and most definitely from my friends and acquaintances).  It's all very nice music, but not overly interesting to me.  The thing is I can't say a single bad thing about most of these bands and what they are putting out - talented musicians, nice compositions...I'd certainly much rather have this music playing in my dentist's office than the soft rock of the eighties that usually make my cavities worse.  But...that's not the same as really liking the music is it?  I don't yearn to put on a record like this.  I'm not popping this in on a roadtrip and (not) singing along.  Is this just my limitation or a limitation of the music?  Yeah it's probably just me, but at the end of the day I'm grabbing that Hiss record over this Golden Gunn record nearly every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment