Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Low - The Invisible Way (Sub Pop, 2013)

Low
The Invisible Way
Sub Pop
2013

Rating: 7.5 cup sleeves out of 10

Another new record by the musical institution known as Low.  They've been a part of my life for so long that it's hard to imagine what it was like not being able to hear their delicate, wonderful music.  Apparently "The Invisible Way" marks Low's 20th anniversary as a band, and they are one of a very small fraternity that I find just as riveting now as when I first heard them probably 18 years ago.  They've done this by keeping things relatively the same and very simple - sparse instrumentation, quality songwriting, and some of my favorite vocals in all of music.  I've read Jeff Tweedy of Wilco was their producer this time in the studio, but to these ears you can 't tell a difference - it still sounds like vintage Low.  To be perfectly honest, so long as the record includes Alan and Mimi singing, they could probably put out an album that was 90% fart sounds and I'd be happy to listen.  No fart sounds here though, just beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment