Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Jon Mueller - Death Blues (Taiga, 2012)

Jon Mueller
Death Blues
Taiga
2012

Rating: 7 artificial cherries out of 10

I really love this Jon Mueller record "Death Blues" and want to promote it to anyone who will listen, but at the same time I feel completely unable to properly describe it in a way that would make people want to listen.  This record makes me feel dumb, and despite my outward appearance it's not a feeling I'm accustomed to.  Mueller is a drummer by trade, and percussion is definitely the foundation of all these songs; but he layers on top of that a smattering of other instrumentation including monk-style chanting and playing the guitar like a hammered dulcimer.  It's very rhythmic and repetitive, but never boring.  If I was the person in charge of genre naming, this one would go under "monastic kraut drone."  Again, really loving this despite the stupid review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment