Monday, March 4, 2013

Jacco Gardner - Cabinet of Curiosities (Trouble in Mind, 2013)

Jacco Gardner
Cabinet of Curiosities
Trouble in Mind
2013

Rating: 8 red hots out of 10

I didn't know dick about Jacco Gardner when I came across this record, but pretty much anything Trouble in Mind puts out is worth taking a chance on.  Turns out Jacco is a young kid from the Netherlands, and it sounds like he got teleported straight from 1968.  And I don't mean that he sounds like a modern dude mimicking those classic psychedelic pop sounds - he truly sounds like an actual relic from that age.

So, dude sounds like a "throwback" if you will - but what sort of throwback exactly?  There seems to be a whole lot of harpsichord here, so comparisons to the Zombies is going to be frequent, and deserved.  Jacco's vocals may not be in the same category as Colin Blunstone, but that is meant as no slight - I'm someone who holds the Zombies in exceptionally high esteem.  When people want to argue Beatles vs. Stones, I always get cross looks for choosing the Zombies; so when I say he's slightly inferior to that band, that's actually serious praise.  

This is going to get a lot of spins from me for the rest of the year.  Good pop music is timeless, and this is very, very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment