Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pop. 1280 - The Horror (Sacred Bones, 2012)

Pop. 1280
The Horror
Sacred Bones
2012

Rating: 7.5 soft towels out of 10

I saw Pop. 1280 live a couple of months ago and described the show like this: "they sounded like Shellac, Ministry and US Maple got greased up, stuffed in a sack and shaken.  Dark, industrial, aggressive, and pretty enjoyable."  I'm now finally getting to spend some time digesting their debut record, and I'm not sure my initial gut reaction was all that far off the base.  You could probably throw a Suicide comparison in there too.  Liars as well, and I guess that would be the most contemporary measuring stick.  There is definitely a heavy industrial-punk vibe to their music, very dark and mechanical.  The piece of a tin roofing sheet they beat the crap of live can definitely be heard on the record, particularly on what is probably their strongest track "Bodies in the Dunes."  This is not party music or fun music, unless maybe you're running an S&M club or staging a reenactment of scenes from the film "Se7en."  But I really really like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment