Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fergus & Geronimo - Funky Was the state of Affairs (Hardly Art, 2012)

Fergus & Geronimo
Funky Was the state of Affairs
Hardly Art
2012

Rating: 6.5 ducks smoking cigars out of 10

I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure if this Fergus & Geronimo record is serious or some sort of weird joke amongst friends.  Either way, I like it quite a bit.  If you've ever said to yourself "I wish there was a band that sounded like Gang of Four, Devo and the Make-Up jello wrestling," then look no further. It's not all gold - there are a bunch of weird short nonsense songs that are crap on the first listen, and only get more annoying.  It's so bad I want to immediately burn a version of the record without these bits and forget they ever exist.  Haven't we learned anything from bad skits on hip hop records people?  There is also the issue of the song "Roman Nvmerals / Wiretapping Muzak I," which is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.  But the rest of the record is so enjoyable that despite these annoyances I give this thumbs up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment