Friday, August 17, 2012

Aesop Rock - Skelethon (Rhymesayers, 2012)

Aesop Rock
Skelethon
Rhymesayers
2012

Rating: 7.5 light blue bottles out of 10

Aesop Rock has always been one of those performers that I like, that I tell myself I should listen to more of, and that I then forget about.  I go through this every time I hear a new song or album by him.  In that moment when I'm listening, I'm totally engrossed and enthusiastic about what I'm hearing...and then it turns off and it's like I get amnesia. 

I've got no reason to assume anything will change this time around either, but as I listen to "Skelethon" while I write this, it's a strong record.  Damn strong even, as strong as he's ever released and that's saying something.  Aesop Rock has his strong underground following and it seems unlikely he'll ever bust out of that, but the man definitely deserves a wider audience.  I have no doubt that his long-time followers will dig this record plenty, but it's a dark record even by his standards...and I'm not just talking lyrical content (or at least what lyrical content you can decipher from his rather cryptic words), the songs sound like a rainy day.  Put this on in your headphones when you're walking around on a gloomy afternoon, and I'd imagine it's a marriage made in heaven. 



No comments:

Post a Comment