Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Guantanamo Baywatch - Chest Crawl (Dirtnap, 2012)

Guantanamo Baywatch
Chest Crawl
Dirtnap
2012

Rating: 7 German beer gardens out of 10

Between the name Guantanamo Baywatch and the label Dirtnap, I'm not sure what I was expecting this band to sound like, but I'm pretty sure dirty surf rock wasn't at the top of the list.  And I don't mean "dirty" as in the lyrics sound ripped off from 2 Live Crew, just not Ventures-style clean surf rock.  No, this is more like Shadowy Men from a Shadowy Planet combining with the Cramps to form some kind of unholy monster.  The music isn't anything new or special, but it is catchy and very listenable.  Sure, it's tough to make non-catchy surf rock, but I like the cut of this band's jibs.  And I'm certain they're a blast live, which might be more important than anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment