Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know (Fat Cat, 2012)

The Twilight Sad
No One Can Ever Know
Fat Cat
2012

Rating: 6 cheddar combos out of 10

I find I have a strange relationship with The Twilight Sad...I like their music and have listened to pretty much all of their releases, but for some reason I just can't bring myself to get excited by them.  They might actually be too dour and depressing for my tastes, if that's possible.  Their music is certainly well crafted and on paper should be something I get worked up over.  This particular album is a little less sweeping and emotional than their previous material, taking a more even keeled approach and never getting too caught up in that soft/loud/soft dynamic that Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky made so popular and Twilight Sad leaned on heavily in the past. Now they feel like a modern version of a Factory band or something in that neighborhood - driving, almost electronic beats and lots of keyboards and synths.  They do this new sound fine, but I find myself no less interested this time around than last time despite the changes. 

I still love singer James Graham's vocals though, the accent as heavy as syrup.  I just wish I could get wound up over the whole package a little more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment