Thursday, July 26, 2012

John Wesley Coleman - The Last Donkey Show (Goner, 2012)

John Wesley Coleman
The Last Donkey Show
Goner
2012

Rating: 7 bulldog farts out of 10

While I've always enjoyed Golden Boys, the main band of John Wesley Coleman, this is his first solo record I've really gotten interested in.  I couldn't tell you why exactly - the songs just stick with me a little better I guess.  I'm not sure if this is the first record he's done that sounds a lot like Reigning Sound or it's just the first one I made that connection on, but surely my love of that band is translating to my strong feelings on "The Last Donkey Show."  It's probably the heavy use of organ causing this connection in my brain, combined with a slight tinge of tex mex ala Doug Sahm/Sir Douglas Quintet.  That Coleman also hails from Texas is most likely not a coincidence.  Whatever the connection or comparison, the bottom line is this is an enjoyable, fun rock record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment