Tuesday, July 24, 2012

La Sera - Sees the Light (Hardly Art, 2012)

La Sera
Sees the Light
Hardly Art
2012

Rating: 7.5 soft cookies out of 10

Where I've gotten much pickier in many other facets of my life the older I've gotten, in the realm of sweet-voiced pop music I seem to be more and more accepting as the years go on.  Basically, put out a record with a cute girl, a pleasant voice and catchy songs, and I'm hooked.  I guess I'm just easy like that (and possibly misogynistic, though not intentionally or hurtfully so).  

In this case the girl is Katy Goodman, best known for her work with Vivian Girls but here working under the name La Sera.  I've never been a huge Vivian Girls fan, but I gave this a listen on a whim and was instantly smitten with her voice and knack for hooks.  "Break My Heart" was the instant favorite, and it's hard to imagine this not being one of my favorite songs of the year.  There's not a bad song here, and at 10 songs and 30 minutes long, it's the perfectly proportioned pop album.  I'm already excited for my next listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment