Friday, July 6, 2012

Best Coast - The Only Place (Mexican Summer, 2012)

Best Coast
The Only Place
Mexican Summer
2012

Rating: 7.5 chocolate chip cookies out of 10

Best Coast have been kind enough to grace us with another slab of beautifully sweet pop music, and it makes me quite happy.  They kick the record off with a love letter to California called "The Only Place" which makes me incredibly homesick for my former home every time I hear it, and it only gets better from there.  Bethany Cosentino's voice may not technically be the best out there, but in terms of pulling on my heart strings it's top five.  When she sings her saccharine songs it's like they are burrowing right into my chest like those damn carpenter bees that are trying to destroy my deck.  Best Coast certainly aren't doing anything groundbreaking, or maybe trying to write the perfect pop song is the most groundbreaking move of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment