Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Whatever Brains - Whatever Brains (Sorry State, 2011)

Whatever Brains
Whatever Brains
Sorry State
2011

Rating: 8 hangdog poses out of 10

I've been meaning to/trying to review this Whatever Brains self-titled debut album for a while now.  Despite them being one of my very very favorite local bands, I'm constantly at a loss as to what ot say about them.  You could narrow down songs or parts of songs and compare it to a thousand different bands - Les Savy Fav, McClusky, The Fall, some of the electro-punk side projects of Jay Reatard like Final Solutions and Nervous Patterns, Devo being chased by feral dogs...fuck, they sound like a lot of shit if you try to break it down.  But as a whole, when you listen to the album from start to finish - I'm not sure they sound like a single other band on the planet.  A bold statement, sure, but I listen to a lot of fucking music and have seen a lot of bands live, and I've truly never experienced anything like the Brains.  Let's just call it noise-electro-scuzz-punk.  More importantly, let's call it awesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment