Monday, February 27, 2012

DJ Shadow - The Less You Know, The Better (Verve, 2011)

DJ Shadow
The Less You Know, The Better
Verve
2011

Rating: 7 mashing days out of 10

DJ Shadow has been a big part of my musical life for a over a decade and a half, and while he might not hold sway over my tastes like he once did, I'm still always excited to check out his newest offerings.  But I've put off writing my shitty little review on "The Less You Know, The Better" because I'm not entirely sure what to say about it.  At this point Shadow has basically created his own style of music - impeccably crafted, beat-driven indie rock that sounds like everything and nothing else all at the same time.  It's not as "hip hop" as his previous long player "The Outsider," but probably better compared to his first two albums.  At more than 75 minutes long it could have been tightened up a bit, but there are plenty enough good songs to please this Shadow fan.  Look, he's not going to recreate "Endtroducing" - albums like that only happen once in a generation.  But there is much joy to be had here if you can let that go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment