Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sharon Van Etten - Tramp (Jagjaguwar, 2012)

Sharon Van Etten
Tramp
Jagjaguwar
2012

Rating: 7.5 talking walls out of 10

Because of her ties to local stars Megafaun and who knows what other artists, it has always almost felt like Sharon Van Etten is part of the local scene. And maybe that makes me root for her more...actually, I know it does.  So it makes it that much more awesome that her newest release "Tramp" is so damned enjoyable.  I've often had trouble describing her sound, and really the closest I've ever come is that of a more stable Cat Power, and one that likes to rock out.  I also get a Rufus Wainright vibe from some of her material, particularly the first single "Serpents."  It's not so much that it sounds exactly like Rufus, but it "feels" like him.  Almost like the songs were constructed in the same way.  Rufus is, of course, a little more over the top, but I think they're built on the same bones.  Good bones.  Model-like high cheekbone bones.  

But as enjoyable as this record is, I think Sharon has more to give.  I was talking with someone else, and it feels as if she is holding back sometimes.  What or why, I'm not sure - her voice, her power, something along those lines maybe.  The sky is the limit for Sharon, and she is gaining altitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment