Tuesday, December 31, 2002

Norfolk & Western - Winter Farewell (FILMguerrero, 2002)

Norfolk & Western
Winter Farewell
FILMguerrero

2002

Rating: 7.5 fictional western evergreens out of 10
 
This is certainly one of those records that grows on you, which might be something you can say for much of FILMguerrero’s catalog (see also Buellton, a decent band in their own right).  I had heard a couple of songs by Norfolk & Western (let’s call them N&S for short), and they didn’t have any impact on me - not good, not bad, just there.  So I wasn’t totally excited to listen to their CD, and even the first couple of listens just dwindled there in the background while I tooled around my house, doing whatever it is people do when they tool around their house.  I was mentally preparing to write up a review about it being just ok, good background music and all that sort of drivel you might write when describing something mediocre.  Then, like a punch in the ear, it grabbed me and hasn’t let go since.  I’ve been listening to it multiple times daily - not because I’m doing a review and wanted to be informed, but because I really yearn to hear it.

The main force behind N&S is Adam Selzer, who runs a recording studio in Portland, OR by the name of Tape Foundry where the whole thing was recorded.  He has also assembled a motley group to help him on the recording, and while I don’t want to run down the names of everyone, worth mentioning are Richard Buckner (who’s records are quite good, especially ‘Since’) helps out by singing back up on my favorite song on the album, ‘The Evergreen,’ as well as Rachel Blumberg, who I do not know but has an amazing voice that I will be sure to be on the lookout for in the future.

As for the sound - as with all great albums, every time I listen to the album I hear different things in it.  If I had to give one overall impression and/or comparison, I would say take the sparse, mellow sound of Low, add in some country twang and a little bit of noise that might feel right at home on a Dirty Three album.  I think the Low comparison is particularly fitting, as Adam’s voice sounds very much like Alan Sparhawk’s, and when Rachel is singing as well it really gives off a similar vibe to that of Mimi and Alan from Low.  But what makes this album so great are the little things - the slide guitar and occasional harmonica make you feel as if you’re riding down a lonely highway late at night; the use of the optigon, vibraphone, and various radio samples, while not drawing too much attention to themselves individually, add to the overall pastiche of the work and give it that intangible something that adds just the right texture to the song.

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of this brand of mellow music would be remiss in not checking this release out.  And you can put it on and listen to it while tooling around the house.  Just don’t be surprised if you find yourself sitting down and listening to the music instead of getting the things done that you had planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment