Tuesday, December 31, 2002

Charlene - Charlene (Shark Attack! Music, 2002)


Charlene
Charlene
Shark Attack! Music
2002

Rating:
6.5 heads of feathered hair out of 10

Charlene
come from Boston. When I think of Boston, I think of two of my all-time favorite bands - The Pixies and Dinosaur Jr. Charlene sounds nothing like either of these bands. The easiest way to describe them would be shoegaze, but to me they sound more like a mellow pop band with tendencies towards feedback and long instrumental parts in their songs. Their more upbeat tracks come off sounding somewhat like Jesus and Mary Chain, the mellow ones like Spiritualized, and something about the overall tempo, sound, and structure of a lot of their stuff makes me think of Starflyer 59. Then again, I just really like thinking about Starflyer 59, so maybe that’s just me. There is nothing new or groundbreaking coming from these guys, but they still make enjoyable music that sounds like something you’ve listened to numerous times the first time you hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment