Tuesday, December 31, 2002

Hot Hot Heat - Make Up the Breakdown (Sub Pop, 2002)


Hot Hot Heat
Make Up the Breakdown
Sub Pop

2002


Rating: 5.5 maple beavers out of 10

If I had written this review when I intended to, it would have probably gotten a higher rating from me. At first listen, I thought "Make Up the Breakdown" was great. A few more listens in, a couple of songs started bothering me. As of now, about half of the album could be tossed and we’d end up with a pretty damn good EP.

From what I understand, Hot Hot Heat come from some remote part of British Columbia, which means they overcame two obstacles that overwhelm many out there - first, they managed to escape the confines of isolated small town living, which has a way of stifling creativity in favor of fitting in with everyone else; and second, they’re Canadian. Enough said about that one.

Many of their songs come off sounding like more organic versions of Faint songs with a little pop-punk bounce infused into it. It’s not so much that they sound like the Faint per se, but more like they might be carrying the burden of similar influences, only Hot Hot Heat also listened to a bunch of Green Day or something along those lines. One of their assets (or detractions, depending on how you look at it) is that within the given framework, they manage to change their sound from song to song - Dismemberment Plan on "This Town", the aforementioned Faint on "No, Not Now" and "Talk To Me, Dance With Me", any of a million ska bands on "Get In Or Get Out" and even Dexy’s Midnight Runners of all people on "Aveda". Another gripe could be leveled at the production - it seems a little too heavy handed for a band of this nature - possibly part of the problem with some of the songs irritating me is that they sound too slick.

To the benefit of the band, I’ve heard nothing but positive things about their live show - apparently there is much dancing and thrashing around, and the crowd really gets into it. And it could possibly be that I might enjoy all of their songs in a live setting. But as for my home listening needs, I think it’s time to fire up the CD burner and create myself an EP.

No comments:

Post a Comment