Thursday, May 19, 2011

TV Ghost - Mass Dream (In The Red, 2011)


TV Ghost
Mass Dream

In The Red
2011


Rating:
6 episodes of "Viva Laughlin" out of 10

If I read a description of a band as being a mix of Pere Ubu, Rites of Spring and the Doors, I don't know whether I'd run and hide or shriek with excitement like a small child. But that's pretty much the best description I've come up with for TV Ghost, a quartet of musicians out of Lafayette, Indiana who may or may not need psychological help. Perhaps a more modern comparison would be a more damaged version of the A Frames, a person favorite of mine. Nearly all of the songs have a very nervous, anxious feeling to them...you're not putting this on and taking a little nap on the couch. It's the sort of music that sounds great if you're in the right mood, but catch you off guard and you might be cursing it's very existence.

I'm not sure I love this record, but I'm very intrigued by it. And I'm not sure this is an album that opens itself up after just a few listens...it might take a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment