Monday, May 23, 2011

The Flaming Lips with Neon Indian - The Flaming Lips with Neon Indian (Warner Bros, 2011)


The Flaming Lips with Neon Indian
The Flaming Lips with Neon Indian
Warner Bros

2011


Rating:
6 packages of wax lips out of 10

I don't know dick all about Neon Indian, but when the Flaming Lips put out something new I listen to it no matter what. I don't care if they're collaborating with Kenny Rogers, I'm down. Actually, an Lips/Kenny Rogers collabo would be awesome...maybe a spaced out cover of "Coward of the County" would kill.

So I did a little reading, and apparently Neon Indian are some sort of electronic pop duo out of NYC and Texas. Is it still a duo if one of them just does visuals? I personally would lean towards "no" on that one, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority there. Not that I don't like visuals, it's just pretty secondary to the music when we're talking about a musical group. Granted, as I've said I've never seen the band so maybe the visual person also plays music. Or maybe the audio from the visuals has a place in their music or some such shit. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about here.

Anyways, what you've got here is an EP of four songs that sounds like remixes of Flaming Lips songs you've never heard. This is exactly what I expected the record to sound like, and I was neither disappointed or pleasantly surprised. None of the songs are particularly catchy or what I'd call "top shelf" Flaming Lips' product, but it's all decent enough and certainly very listenable. I'm not a druggin' sort, but it seems like the sort of record that it would be good to listen to while stoned. But maybe not on speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment