Tuesday, May 10, 2011

JEFF the Brotherhood - We Are the Champions (Infinity Cat, 2011)


JEFF the Brotherhood
We Are the Champions

Infinity Cat

2011

Rating:
7.5 out of 10

JEFF the Brotherhood is all over the map..and it really works for them. Their sound is all over the map - Pavement-style nineties slacker rock, early Weezer, clean garage rock like the first couple of Black Keys records, a little Trans Am/Fuckin' Champs when they decide to get spacey, the occasional Sebadoh moment, and god knows what else. But under all this decoration, "We Are the Champions" is just a really good, extremely catchy pop record. I would have absolutely loved this release in high school when all I listened to was Dinosaur Jr. and Superchunk. I would have gone nuts for it in college, because it sounds like every one of my favorite bands. In my twenties, when I was on a heavy punk kick - this would have been perfect. And now, as an old(ish) man...still really, really damn good.

Nearly every song is a hit but I am especially partial to "Ripper" and "Diamond Way". This is music for your inner child, no matter how old you are. I really can't wait to see these guys live.

No comments:

Post a Comment