Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Starflyer 59 - Young In My Head (Tooth & Nail, 2019)

Starflyer 59
Young In My Head
Tooth & Nail
2019


Rating: 7 hard pears out of 10

Outside of a few specific songs, I would likely be hard pressed to differentiate between Starflyer 59 records.  There is a sameness to the music of Jason Martin, sure, but that’s ok: not everything has to be groundbreaking and new, it’s ok for some music to function basically as modern nostalgia (hell, that’s mostly what I listen to OLD PERSON ALERT).  Or better yet: when you’re this damn good, why fuck with a sure thing?  Martin has held steadfast to his version of laid-back, poppy shoegaze since the mid-nineties, and more than twenty five years and fifteen full-lengths later, nothing has really changed – nor should it IMO.  When I saw there was a new Starflyer 59 record, I had very specific expectations on what this would sound like, and those expectations were fully met.  The title track “Young In My Head,” easily my favorite of the release, could be stuck in the middle of any of Starflyer’s other records and fit perfectly.  Even by my own usually short-and-pointless review standards I don’t have a lot to say here...this music is like an old favorite t-shirt: familiar, comfortable, and a part of your life for a long time.  I look forward to entirely recycling this review for the sixteenth release. 

Also, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, someone fucking re-issue their 1998 record “The Fashion Focus,” my personal favorite of all fifteen of the band’s albums.  I mean, they need pretty much their entire catalog re-issued, but that’s the most important one.  And make it more than 500 copies!!!  They did a re-issue of their first record “Silver” last year (which I would also like to have) and it sold out quickly and now costs an arm and a leg.  

No comments:

Post a Comment