Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Drunk Horse - Bambi 7'' (Wantage USA, 2001)

Drunk Horse
Bambi 7''
Wantage USA
2001 (I think...)


Rating: 7 lost daughters out of 10

Drunk Horse were local stalwarts back when I lived in the Bay Area - I was never a super fan, but it was impossible not to see a bill with them on it at some point.  This seven inch is a pair of Prince covers, though I didn't realize it until I heard "Bambi."  With the catchy guitar line that dominates the chorus, it doesn't sound all that different from the original - a little rougher around the edges, scuzzier I suppose.  The other side is "Dirty Mind," a real boogie rock jammer with synthy bursts (I don't ever remember any synths in their live show, but it's been a long damn time...), like ZZ Top combined with the Cars.  The record is marbled purple and the sleeve is screen-printed, real nice looking package - outside of the fact that the labels have been put on the wrong sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment