Thursday, January 24, 2019

Skull Cult - New Mutilator EP (Self-Released, 2018)

Skull Cult
New Mutilator EP
Self-Released
2018


Rating: 8 hearing aids for lions out of 10

I didn’t know a single damn thing about Skull Cult going into this, just one of the many punk and punk-adjacent releases I often download from the glorious giving basket that is the internet.  I still don’t know a ton, they don’t hold a huge web presence – they’re a scuzzy synth-punk band from Bloomington, Indiana, they’re allergic to long songs, and the keyboards they’re using sound chintzy as hell.  Also, this entire EP is super catchy and rules.  RULES!  Male and female vocals, very distorted – it’s like if the Booji Boys sounded more like Devo (yes, Skull Cult sounds way more Devo than the band named after a Devo character).  This whole five song EP ends before the clock reaches ten minutes – it opens with a scorcher called “Braindead” that sounds like a modern KBD classic, and ends with a (not particularly faithful) cover of the Talking Head’s “Psycho Killer” called “Cyco Killer.”  As near as I can tell this is web only, at least for now – but I really hope this gets a proper physical release because I would love to own it.  Listen goddammit, I’m old and I like a physical manifestation of my musical tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment