Friday, February 22, 2019

Herman Dune - I Wish That I Could See You Soon 7'' (Source Etc, 2007)

Herman Dune
I Wish That I Could See You Soon 7''Source Etc
2007

Rating: 6.5 junebug casseroles out of 10

It never struck me before how much Herman Dune sounds like Jonathan Richman.  This is such an egregious oversight on my part it has me questioning everything and anything I've ever thought about music.  I was well aware of the title track "I Wish That I Could See You Soon" when this was released and I quite liked it - I probably put the song on a number of different mixes around 2007.  It's damn catchy, it has horns, and I love the backing vocals.  In a move I've never seen before, that track is followed by a cover of the same song by someone named Lisa Li-Lund.  This version does nothing for me - it sounds as thin and as cheap as the Casio that appears to responsible for the music that backs it.  The flip side, "Song Of Samuel," is back to another Herman Dune song that is fully on the Jonathan Richman sound-alike train, only this is the b-side for reason because it definitely doesn't measure up to the title track.  Not terrible mind you, just...you know.  It's there.  

Also, the record is on clear green wax, which looks fantastic, if you care about such things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment