Thursday, February 25, 2016

Dan Sartain - Century Plaza (One Little Indian, 2016)

Dan Sartain
Century Plaza
One Little Indian
2016

Rating: 8 paddlin' belts out of 10

Dan Sartain has always been a garage rocker type of dude, recording and performing music that was ok but never got me overly excited.  He's been around for nearly a couple of decades, releasing an album seemingly every year, and to be perfectly honest I stopped paying attention a long time ago.  I honestly don't know how this new album "Century Plaza" even got on my computer, but I've had a lot more free time to listen to music this past month or so, so why not see what the hell Dan Sartain is up to these days?

Well, it ain't garage rock anymore.  It appears that for at least this album, Sartain has re-invented himself as a new wave electro-pop artist writing dark, almost gothy songs that would make Depeche Mode, Gary Numan and Suicide all proud.  The highlight is the album opener, a remake of his own song "Walk Among the Cobras" that would sound right at home on the "Drive" soundtrack.  All of the sudden I'm a big Dan Sartain fan now because I absolutely love this.  Keep going in this direction Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment