Sunday, March 13, 2016

Mount Moriah - How To Dance (Merge, 2016)

Mount Moriah
How To Dance
Merge
2016

Rating: 7 cannery workers out of 10

The third record from Mount Moriah, and absolutely no drop off in quality - not a small feat considering how outstanding their self-titled debut was.  That release is still my favorite, to be honest, but I'm not calling anyone to complain about "How To Dance" - hell, I'm such a fan I pre-ordered it months before it came out.  

Nothing on this record is an instant gut punch like "Lament" from their debut, but opener "Calvander" is a damn fine effort.  Heather's voice is as strong if not stronger than ever, and let's not kid ourselves that is the main draw of this band, at least for me (and I'm the stupid person writing this).  If there is anything negative to be said at all, it's the lack of sparse songs ala "Plane" from their first record - very little instrumentation and Heather's voice doing the heavy lifting.  Yeah that's a weird thing to fuss over, but I really dig that style.  But the entire new record is a keeper, even if it is a hair more upbeat than I would prefer.  I'm gonna listen to it a lot regardless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment