Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Paws - Youth Culture Forever (Fat Cat, 2014)

Paws
Youth Culture Forever
Fat Cat
2014

Rating: 8 foggy trees out of 10

I love hearing something I like this much completely out of the blue.  I had no idea who Paws was, or why this album "Youth Culture Forever" was even on my computer, but I decided to give it a listen.  I wasn't even all that taken at first, but when I hit the third track "Someone New" my ears perked up; by the fifth track "Give Up," I was completely sold.  It is so goddamn catchy, an album begging to be sung along to either live or while driving in your car, two of my favorite pastimes.  There is an immediate"nineties indie rock" feel here, and as someone permanently stuck in that decade I welcomed it.  The biggest comparison would be the Thermals, but you hear elements of Superchunk and Archers of Loaf and even a little Weezer (the Weezer of the first two albums, aka the "good" Weezer, obviously). 

I'm going to listen to this so much I get sick of it, and that's ok.  In fact I'm excited for it.  New bands that give me this tingly happy vibe don't come along too often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment